Highland News article provokes Facebook anger

July 19, 2012 · Filed Under Crime, Nairn

Bookmark and Share

The Highland News publishes an article about how at a party in Nairn, a 17-year old girl had boiling water poured on her while male friends filmed it: Painter poured boiling water over woman at Nairn party.

However, the tone of the piece, which jokes about the action getting the defendant “in hot water” seems to have backfired.

The piece is linked to on the Highland News’ Facebook page, which leads to plenty of harsh comments and criticisms from family and friends of the girl, berating both the journalist, the Highland News, and the attitude of one of the police officers involved.

While the piece does mention that the girl is not expected to have permanent scarring, and will heal in 6-8 weeks, family say she’s badly scalded and having to take morphine for the pain.

While the Nairnshire Telegraph’s “Cop this” section on local crime can easily convey a sense of a seaside town suffering only small amounts of petty crime, there’s an unparalleled degree of anger and invective being posted on Facebook by a number of people about this particular incident.

Comments

6 Responses to “Highland News article provokes Facebook anger”

1. E.Maree on July 19th, 2012 8:37 am

Glad to see some balanced coverage of this, Brian.

I’m highly curious how the HN can post as slanted an article as that one, given the differences between the judge’s “culpably and recklessly causing boiling water to pour” phrasing and “sprinkled boiling water…to wake her up” by the unnamed journo.

2. Bill (Scotland) on July 19th, 2012 10:23 am

I read the HN report earlier this morning thru my Google reader feed and must say that I thought it a very contradictory and curious piece of writing, but now that I have read the Facebook comments it seems to be clear that it was deliberately slanted to throw doubt upon the credibility of the young lady, unless of course all the Facebook comments are themselves slanted, but I tend to discount that for the most part.

HN is a pretty shoddy so-called ‘newspaper’ unfortunately so this piece is not an enormous surprise.

3. John on July 19th, 2012 4:19 pm

You can’t blame the HN, they just reported what was said in court.
    This low-life pled guilty to the offense so NO evidence was heard, there was no trial. The lawyer then pleads in mitigation, in other words, gets to put a skewed version of events to lesson the potential punishment, makes it seem less a crime than it was.
    Unfortunately, this is how the legal system works. So the HN just reported what was put forward by the defendant, not biased, just the “facts,” presented.

4. J.Smith on July 19th, 2012 11:36 pm

The reason for the anger in this case is the felocity of damage the boys have caused her. With regard to the fact they were supposed to be her friends, if I ‘friend’ were to do that to me I know for sure my confidence would be bumped down a fair bit.
    I personally think the facebook support can only restore faith In todays youth – after all they have taken it upon themselves to action a network of support for the young girl, which hopefully will see her through the healing prossess it also coveys a great deal of loyalty and a reassuring nudge that morality is (in most cases) still a functioning part of society.
    At the very least it is encouraging them to have a debate.

5. dead tree journals no more on July 23rd, 2012 12:08 pm

Over the last year to June it has been reported that Scottish newspaper sales fell by 8%. As the Highland News article demonstrates they can’t blame the Internet for all of that, if papers don’t tell it like it is then why should anybody continue to buy them?

6. Gillian Smith nee MAIR on October 24th, 2012 9:57 am

With the approach of the 100 year remembrance ceremonies of The First World War in 2014 I would like to know whether there are any special plans in the pipeline to mark the war dead of Nairn. My interest is my grandfather David Mair who served throughout the war in the Cameron Highlanders and who died at the end of Sept.1918 in Flanders. He lived,worked and brought up his family in Nairn and was a keen cyclist. I would happily supply details of his life recorded in letters from the trenches to augment any research that may be planned.